Bisque firing to cone 04
Glaze firings to cone 05, cone 5, cone 9, and cone 10 reduction
Options to rent a whole kiln or pay by the pound.
Queen City Clay offers several options for firing your ceramic work. Whether you need to rent a couple of kilns or just have a single piece to be fired, come on in and we’ll help you figure out the most cost effective and efficient way to get your work through the kilns.
Bisque and glaze firings in oxidation usually turn around in 2 to 3 weeks. Reduction firings generally take 3 to 4 weeks. We only fire the kilns when they’re full. We also have a huge load of student and special event firing happening all the time. Please drop off work to be fired at least one month before any important deadlines.
Queen City Clay cannot be held responsible for any cracking, explosions, or glaze issues…but we’d be happy to troubleshoot any issues with you so it doesn’t happen again! Stop in or give us a call if you have questions before you bring pieces in for firing. You may be held financially responsible for severe damage to our kilns.
If you’re interested in using the raku kiln, please call to schedule a private session with one of our instructors. Raku pricing is subject to change with the price of fuel. Keep an eye our for Rakutenanny workshops in the summer. The wood and soda kilns are ONLY accessible through workshops or classes.
By the Piece
- electric kiln firing - $1/lb member, $2/lb non-member
- gas kiln & electric kiln firing at ^9/10 - $2/lb member, $4/lb non-member
By the Kiln Load
- low fire electric, cone 06-04, 7 cu. ft. - $60 member, $75 non-member
- high fire electric, cone 6 - 9, 7 cu. ft. - $75 member, $90 non-member
- high fire, cone 8-10 electric, 7 cu. ft. - $90
- raku kiln, 3 cu. ft. - $150* (pricing may vary based on fuel cost, call for appt. & pricing)
- downdraft gas kiln, 40 cu. ft. - $400
Dropping Off Work to be Fired
You can drop off work to be fired any time during retail hours (see footer). Our retail staff can direct you where to go, how to weigh your pots and how to fill out the paperwork. Please make sure that the information on your paperwork is CORRECT and LEGIBLE. If we have a question about firing your work we need to be able to contact you and resolve the issue before it will be fired.
To rent a whole kiln, you’ll need to schedule directly with John Fowler. There are times during class sessions when full kiln rental may be off limits. Please email him to schedule well in advance of any deadlines.
Options for Members
- All Yearly Members, Monthly Studio Rental, and Monthly Booth Rental Members can buy a package of firing pounds at special member prices.
- 100 lbs for $85
- 75 lbs for $65
- 50 lbs for $45
- Yearly Class and Booth Plus Members may use our “Worry Free” firing program to pay for firing and glazing done outside of class boundaries. Details can be found in your membership contract. Up to 75 lbs of extra firing per class session. $20/month, charged with your membership fees.
Studio Glaze Prices
Studio Glazes are ONLY available to Studio Members
By the Piece
- .25 cents per pound, to be added to the firing cost
- Glaze costs will be applied to pounds packages when applicable.
By the Kiln Load
- cone 6 electric - $40 member
- cone 9 electric - $60 member